This is your chance to vote on acceptable and not acceptable slurs/slangs ...

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame/Shame' started by PetreTG, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    I've seen him type all of thios and wondered if there was a moderator for this board at all. Anyone who talks this much crap all in one direction (toward other races) is certainly not kidding. :nono:

He should have been shown the door long long ago.

2. Wiser 1878

Management/Health Care
    I'll be honest with you. It's easy to say "hey, just ignore this person or that person", but racism was what turned me away from the boxing forums. I have only been back for the Hatton fights recently and it looks like some of it has cleaned up but there were times when racism had run amok over on that side with no discipline whatsoever.

3. Wiser 1878

Management/Health Care
    Would you walk up to someone on the street and call them that? Honestly?

Fuck NO! So why should you expect that you could sit back and call people that from the safety of your own computer desk and it shouldn't have any affect? Think about your own question.

4. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

A couple of comments:

1) The best form of prevention is when a community polices itself. bannings and threats do not generally help, better to make a person feel a sense of shame when certain things are said.

2) Like Rooster and Rabid have said, context is important. Many times people say things and it is obviously not hurtful or spiteful. I often call Rabd a "boner" but he knows damn well and it is obvious fromt he context of it that it is said affectionately. I would say that in reality many comment like that are made on the boards... it is in fact a minority of comments that are mean spirited.

3) Regarding Ortho: You can say to Ortho "that was a stupid malicious thing to say." and I have always felt this has some effect and that he listens.

4) Some terms like Redneck are simply not rascist comments. There is a group of guys on this board that feel like they are the self appointed protectors of the Caucasian race and they like to bring up their anger at the use of this word but it is an acceptable term and is not directed against any particular ethnic group.

Red Neck more describes a life style than a race. A similar term would be ghetto not the N word. So REdeneck should be acceptable.

I think Rubio is a little sensative about Petre's comments because Petre has made it known he would like to ban Rubio. But Rubio could exerscize some self control and most times when he has been banned it was unavoidable.... which bugs the shit out of me because Rubio is one of my favorite posters here. Petre has a right to express his desire to ban Rubio, just not a right exerscize this right unless it is warranted.

Generally thinking it is better if people can police themselves. The more you depend on bannings and other such things the more problems will arise.

With Ortho for example, when he makes one of his comments the best defense is when someone like Rooster points out what an idiot he is being. People don't give Ortho enough credit... he actually is smart enough to respond in a civil fashion when you tell him to cut it out... ditto for Mustard by the way.

5. atomicdOGg34

atomicdOGg34 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

student
    Home Page:
    simple fix: have an option on the board to ignore certain posters posts, the ignored persons posts dont show up on the screen, thatll get rid of some people quick (probably me :eek:ld: )

6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

CNC Manager
    Home Page:
    Karl has been doing that from the start :lol:

7. Ropadope

Ropadope Undisputed Champion

I never said redneck is a racist term, but it can be. It is an ethnic slur, whether you agree or not. Many people use the term as a catch-all term for whites or southern whites, and it's usually not meant in a nice way. That's just a fact. Many people just find the term acceptable because they dislike whites or southerners, or because they will never have the term thrown at them.

Yid isn't a racist term, because Jews aren't a race, but it's still considered offensive. Either way, I never said that anyone should be banned or suspended. I just wanted to seen an honest and good explanation of why the term is acceptable, while others aren't, and I have yet to see one.

8. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

A heard a Cuban guy today refer to as a saltwater Ni&&er today...:eek:...actually i wasn't shock..like everyone else would say...it was actually funny..i :lol::laughing:...

9. Ropadope

Nobody snitched on you! You know damn well that you often make disparaging remarks about whites and southerners. You often call me a redneck just to annoy. Who are you kidding? Do you claim to mean it in a nice way? I only asked why your comments are acceptable, and OC's aren't. I did it in the thread, and stated that I don't think that anyone should be banned or suspended. You can't just go and define words any way you like when it suits your purpose. If you don't know the meaning of a word, maybe you shouldn't use it. However, I do believe that you know the true meaning of the word, and are making a PC cop-out of your own.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  10. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Oh, just pipe down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suqWNk1vi0o

:popcorn:

11. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Nice smilie on top of your pissed off post.

:lol:

12. Ropadope

For God's sake, no one is pissed off. I raised an obvious question about a double-standard that seems to be generally accepted OUTSIDE of this message board as well. And you do enjoy the double-standard. Why not admit it?

13. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

"Stupid" is a disgraceful slur on humanity and anyone who says it should be banned for 180 days.

14. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    No way. Thats at least a 182 day ban.

15. PetreTG

PetreTG WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Well ... this thread has definately run it's course here ... we'll refer to it again when someone tells me how to best handle racial slurs and insults in TAAA.

16. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:

True that. I wondered about the mods as well, but speaking from experience, you can't check every thread by yourself. You'd think at least some of these would get caught though. :dunno:

17. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    If he really took it to heart, then he wouldn't continually say those types of things, Dsimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.