Tomorrow is not "PROMISED"

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Trey KO, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Trey KO

Trey KO WBC Champion

Jacksonville, Florida via The Bronx, NYC........
    I was thinking about this fighter I had seen years ago who was pretty good, but nothing really special. His name was Glen "The Promise" Thomas.

I remember him because he was the guy who my boy "Iceman" Eddie Tyler fought after losing to Bernard Hopkins earlier that year, in '90.

Anyway, Thomas was undefeated and Butch Lewis was moving him along nicely. Unfortunately, his step up fight was against a hellified Roy Jones jr. even worse, including Jones, he went 3-6 in his next nine fights. But look who this unlucky s.o.b. ran into: Jones, Toney, McCallum, in back to back to back fights!!

Also included in that Bataan death march of a record was, Merquis Sosa, Michael Nunn and Virgil Hill....Freaking OUCH!!! Now I see why he lost to the likes of a guy like Kenny Snow......

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I remember seeing the Nunn fight on Fox. Nunn was bloated and done by that point.

3. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Horrible match-making then.

4. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I like the random stories Trey. :bears:

5. Trey KO

Trey KO WBC Champion

Jacksonville, Florida via The Bronx, NYC........
    Thanks. I think I lived a life of hit and miss!

Quick hit.... Years ago I was a messenger working in Manhattan making minimum wage, about $4.25 and hour. Anyway, there was this Puerto Rican cat with a soft voice. I thought he was gay but it was no big deal, I'm not a homophobe. He and I would always talk; surprisingly, he had a good mind for business. Behind his back people would talk about him and he would not say anything.

One day, he just quit.... A few weeks later he came to see me at the dispatch center. As it turned out, he happened to be Herman Santiago, the only surviving member of Frankie Lymon and the teenagers, the 50's doo wop group, the guys who sang "Why do fools fall in love". He had won some type of lawsuit and because of back royalties, he became a millionaire overnight. Guess who was kissing his ass then? before you smart asses start, I'll just say, it wasn't me! He's been inducted into the Rocking Roll hall of Fame. I did not even know at the time that he was living out of his car! This is a true story.

6. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

Kenny Snow was a heck of a prospect back in 1989-1990.

Kid was built like a Mack truck, but flattered to deceive, I heard he had bad drug issues and couldn't stay off the streets.

7. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Isn't that the story of every prospect though?

If it's not dope it's another "issue".