What do you guys think of Spence, Crawford, and little Gervonta?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Aug 29, 2017.

1. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Spence - Very good, solid, powerful fighter. He's one of those guys that is better than he looks. His punches look kind of wide and looping, and not that fast, but somehow they land - and often. He also appears to have a good chin, resolve, stamina, body shots, everything needed to be an elite fighter. I didn't think he looked great in the first half of the Brook fight but I was impressed with the way he showed "true grit", gutted it out, and just broke Brook down.

Crawford - Also very good. Solid all round fighter with no glaring weakness. Somehow just doesn't do it for me though, I find him less interesting or fun to watch than most elite fighters.

Tank - For some reason I quite like this little fella, but he's kind of a poor man's Judah. He has talent, a lot of speed and power, but I don't think he'll prove to be a true elite fighter or "the future of boxing". It's surprising Floyd is so high on him.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Spence, and Crawford are both tremendous technicians and it's refreshing to watch them operate with skill because a few years ago the welterweight division was infested with skilless hacks like Khan, Berto, and Ortiz. Also, both guys are mean as Hell in the ring and exhibit killer instict. I'm high on both, but I actually believe Spence will prove better in the end.

Davis is a hack. Exciting, a little bit of pop, but not very good. If you wanna talk about a young southpaw power puncher, I've been more impressed with Erickson Lubin than Davis.

3. Boskov Velbov Sr

Boskov Velbov Sr Scrub

I'm a big fan of Crawford. He shows good craft, dedication and flexible attitude in the ring. He finds B and C - I like that feature. His lunch is good and moves well, cuts the ring we'll and blend of aggression and patience is to be admired.

Spence I know of only three fights and he looks constant danger. The beat down of Brook is scary good. Power of a bear, but I don't know enough to make good judgement.

4. Boskov Velbov Sr

Boskov Velbov Sr Scrub

The jury has walked out on Davis. I think he will be a short shelf. Needs better and less selfish guidance than Pretty Boy.

5. Xplosive

I wouldn't even compare Davis to Judah.

We judge Zab on how his career transpired and forget that pre-Tszyu, many of us thought he looked special.

Davis is closer to Broner than Zab. I consider Zab a cut above both.

6. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I like all three. Crawford is the most skilled of them imo. Spence is old school and the most exciting. Tank gets a fair bit of shit on here and he did look rubbish on Saturday but I think he's very good, a step below the absolute elites like Lomachenko but a very good fighter all the same. Much better than that cunt Broner. It was disgraceful that he didn't make weight for the second time in a row but he's good, doesn't lose many rounds which is always a good indicator of a fighter's ability.

7. Xplosive

I'm not at all convinced that Davis is better than Broner.

Broner had a better skill set, that's for sure.

8. Slice N Dice

Disagree entirely, I always thought Broner was shite. Elite fighters don't drop rounds to Gavin fuckin Rees or have close fights with Paulie Malignaggi.

9. Xplosive

Let's wait until Davis has beaten a fighter of note. Thus far, his best win is Pedraza, but Pedraza always looked like shit to me.

10. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I vehemently disagree with one point. Back in the good old dwys, great fighters lost rounds all the time. Spinks, Monzon, the best of the best did that.

Roy Jones changed our way of watching the sport

11. toomuchsol

toomuchsol Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    I love Spence. He seems very mature and patient in the ring and he seems like a hard worker outside the ring as well. They way he commits to body shots is probably my favorite thing about him.

Crawford is probably the most naturally gifted of the three. He has shown that he can out box people but he's not afraid to get in there and bang either. Probably my second favorite fighter to watch after Spence. I would love to see him fight Garcia or any of the guys at 147.

I don't really expect much from Davis. He has talent but seems like a dipshit. Last Saturday would have been the perfect time for him to put on a great performance but he missed weight and didn't look great, imo. He seems like more style than substance.

12. Xplosive

Whitaker went a few YEARS in his prime only dropping a handful of rounds.

But yeah, Sweet Pea wasn't as dominant as Roy, so RJ did change our perspective, I'd agree.

From what I recollect, Gavin Rees didn't give Broner much trouble. I remember it being similar to Floyd-McGregor where it was basically over as soon as Broner stopped biding his time and opened up.

13. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

Spence is the most promising to me. Great skills, toughness, and attitude. I think he will go far.

I think Crawford is very good as well. Although most of his success has been against limited opposition. I would love to see when he steps it up in comp or moves up to 147. That should be fun.

I am not high on Davis at all. He hasn't proven shit, looked like shit in his last fight, and thinks he's the next Mayweather. He will flip soon. Mark my words.

14. Slice N Dice

I get your point but 95% of boxers are brought up the same way now. Broner was winning majority decisions against guys nobody heard of when he was coming through, elite fighters shouldn't be scraping these kind of fights.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  15. mexican wedding shirt

I agree with you guys Spence is the best of the three. He can just flat out fight. Again, he doesn't look like the best/sharpest/fastest fighter in the world, but he gets the job done and has a lot of very good attributes - size, reach, chin, power, stamina etc.

Crawford's ability and skill is undeniable, but I have a feeling he's not QUITE as good as a lot of people think. I'd be interested to see him against some legit fighters at 147.

Oh and I agree with Slice, Davis is WAY better than Broner. God damn, if you remember I was calling Broner a fraud since day 1. He fought on even terms with Magginaggi, and arguably lost to Ponce ffs. He's just a flashy scrub.

"He's just so talented, if only he was more dedicated!". Talented my arse. Gervonta is clearly the more talented of the two, but yeah he does seem like an idiot, without a huge amount of skill or craft.

16. mexican wedding shirt

Yep, very much agree on your first 2 points. With Crawford yeah, he is obviously good, but he has looked best against very limited opposition. He didn't look great in the Burns or Gamboa fights IMO. I'd also be interested to see him step it up and move to 147.

I think you're underrating Davis a bit. He's definitely not the next big thing or the next Floyd, not even close, but his speed and power are legit. If he can become a bit more refined and crafty, he could beat some good fighters.

He'd get schooled by Lomachenko no problem though, I can't believe some people think Davis would win :D

17. mexican wedding shirt

BTW "Jeffy", how did you find Fightbeat? You must be the first new member in years.

18. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

I'm Hanzs twin brother

19. Boskov Velbov Sr

Boskov Velbov Sr Scrub

I don't see Davis being as successful as Broner. Broner us won multiple weights champion and headlined card of note. I think he has hd extreme talent, but issues and bad mind have eroded it.

Davis too maybe. Floyd the boxer is great, but the person is not so. He won't give good advise - and is too selfish to give genuine insight.

Broner was ruined by constant comparison and Floyd pushing him to be megaphone idiot.

Davis is too small I think in height to move far up with success. And his attitude will be like his size. Like a hobbit.

20. Slice N Dice

I think a lot of the "Crawford isn't quite as good as advertised" thing comes from the first four rounds against Gamboa, which I get. I think that will prove to be something of an anomaly though. I think the guy is the real deal, I'd pick him to beat Spence right now (not with any kind of certainty though).

21. Boskov Velbov Sr

Boskov Velbov Sr Scrub

Crawford Spence may be most technical outstanding fight not Hi Tech - Rigo.

It won't happen as never does with good young ones when we want it. Good talent in these divisions right at this point. Garcia and Thurman make potential for good four way

22. Xplosive

Crawford's a bit quicker on the trigger than Spence, which should give him an early lead. But if he can't deter Spence, I don't see it ending well for him. I think Spence puts a hurting on Crawford by the later rounds.

Spence ALREADY has him beat in overall resume. Brook is better than any one fighter Crawford has beaten.

23. Slice N Dice

Thurman and Garcia are clearly a level below those two though.

24. Slice N Dice

Spence can obviously whack, but I think Crawford has a better chin than was suggested in the Gamboa fight. I don't think Crawford was massively wobbled or anything, just caught a bit off-guard by the speed. I could see Crawford taking Brook's blueprint to a different level and taking a points win.

25. Xplosive

Don't tell that to the causals, but skillwise, yeah, Thurman and Cherry don't have the skillset that Spence and Crawford possess.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

No doubt...especially Garcia who I don't rate at all. Garcia is just a game, tough hombre with decent power.

Thurman though....not as polished as the top two guys but he's one determined motherfucker. You can never count him out based on attitude alone

27. Xplosive

Brook had a lot LESS success than some people think. Even when Kell was outpointing Spence by a bit, I never ever got the sense that he was in control. It was one of the those fights where you could tell "it's only a matter of time". Once Spence really turned up the heat, he totally outclassed Kell and beat him up badly.

I think overall it was the best performance of the year by any one fighter.

28. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Thurman vs Spence would be a fantastic fight. I'd pick Spence but Thurman would give him hell.

29. Slice N Dice

I know what you're saying and I agree with you that he was always going to get to Kell, but if he finds himself facing the same points deficit against Crawford, I don't think he catches up.

30. Xplosive

Just like you believe I'll be surprised by Canelo-Golov, I think you'll be surprised at how easily Spence fucks Thurman up.