Why didn't any other country land on the moon?

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame/Shame' started by I and I, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

You remember when Superman and Nuclear Man duked it out on the moon? That was some badass sh*t right there! :clap:

[​IMG]

2. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Your correct. Just like going to the store and buying a black and white television is one hundreth of the process involved in transforming it from the earth elements into an electronic device on your living room table.

Space travel was capable at least 10 years if not more prior to it occuring. The issue was making it safe enough that human loss would be highly unlikely.

3. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Goddamn, you're on the internet right fucking now sending messages at the speed of light. You have any idea how complicated that shit is.

Just because you can't bring yourself to comprehend it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You of all people should be on board with this thought process.

4. D MAN

Home Page:
    CYC this argument is moot. Like I explained, the surface temperature doesn't matter, since heat conduction is impossible without atmosphere. As long as the space suit shoe soles can withstand 130 degrees celsius without melting, it is fine. I think the technology for this exists.

5. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:doh: I see what you are saying. The moon itself may heat but , since there is no air or atmosphere , that heat does not transfer up any higher then the ground itself ..

6. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

It's also one of the reasons we've slowed our progress into space. It's still very dangerous as evidenced by several tragic accidents along the way..................and we've grown too squeamish to accept the losses.

We can lose hundreds and thousands in war, but we're no longer willing to take chances to explore our boundaries in space.............despite having plenty of willing participants.

7. D MAN

Home Page:
    I agree

Mercury is very difficult to navigate to, because of the strong gravitational pull from the sun.

8. 60/40

60/40 Undisputed Champion

LAN Analyst
    Home Page:
    How do probes navigate space now?:doh:

9. D MAN

Home Page:
    Exactly. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the space suits were designed to take advantage of the heat from the surface to heat the inside of the suit. Putting a stove heating element on low, and standing on it with well insulated boots would be a rough equivalent to standing on the moon.

10. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I'm not talking about the difficulty in reaching Mercury, I'm talking about the fact that Mercury is very similar to the moon only MUCH hotter during daylight. If having minimal or no atmosphere cuts out two forms of heat...and teh white suits repel the rest...I'm sarcastically saying that men should be able to walk around on the surface of Mercury wearing 60s designed spacesuits.

11. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Nonsense. How about landing on mercury?

12. D MAN

Home Page:
    Yep it's very political. Space travel was in addition to advancing scientific and meteorological knowledge used as a political tool especially during the cold war to prove a dominance in military aero-space. Russia and the US both had space programs (the US was called STAR WARS I believe) that involved co-ordination between satellite equipement and nuclear launch stations.

13. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

CYC...please don't believe that nonsense. If that were the case you can bask in the vacuum just around the sun where thereis no air....as long as you have a '60s designed spacesuit!! :lol: Gullible.

14. D MAN

Home Page:
    Yes, honestly, they probably could.

15. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Buzz Aldrin should do this to all non believers.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mQKxAqpjroo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mQKxAqpjroo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

TFK

16. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Sure Sly. We should be able to walk on the sun to, right? I mean, it's nearly the exact same thing.

17. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Oh come on! Don't be silly now. :nono:

18. CleanYourClock

That is really a stupid comparison given the fact that Mercury is SO MUCH closer to the sun ...
    If you are going to say that , you might as well go the next step and ask why they can't stand on the surface of the sun itself.

19. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Fuck, we need to get together and go over our material before we type it out. :lol:

20. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Big difference between the "surface" of the sun and two planets with a solid atmosphere-less surface.

If The 120 degree heat on Moon is ONLY on the very surface (which is so easy to refute...that I wont right now because it's not a challenge)...then standing on the 350 degree surface of mercury should be ok as long as your have footwear that can stand that temperature. After that you should be good to go! :clap: :lol:

21. D MAN

Home Page:
    Sly, everything is on a sliding scale. Yes, to a certain point a 60's space suit would protect you from the suns radiation. As you get closer, it would begin to get more and more uncomfortable, and at a certain point the non-perfectly reflecting suit would heat up to the point of burning your skin or killing you from overheating. 130 degree moon surface temperature is a long way off from the intense solar radiation recieved basking next to the sun.

22. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

It's not stupid. Proximity to the sun is not the issue here that I'm addressing...the issue is whether or not the heat is just on the surface (ground) alone or not. It can't be just on the ground...for how did the object heat up in the first place? Think about that?

23. CleanYourClock

Not true because the sun is the actual source , not a secondary source that is also be cooled at the same time.
    You say no air but , you also aren't aknowledging the other types of gases that are there and are being heated ..

24. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Slystaff, I don't know enough about Mercury to know if it's going to be the same or not. They designed the suits for the Moon.........not Mercury.

25. CleanYourClock

Proximity is the issue though because the closer you get , I'm sure many factors change and are no-longer relative ..
    Also it does change from place to place. The moon has Zero atmosphere.
    That is not true for other places ..

26. D MAN

Home Page:
    Are you pretending, or do you really not understand ? I don't blame you if you don't .. but you should honestly consider taking some physics courses, they will teach you alot about how things work, and what you learn can be applied to many different situations.

Answer: radiation

27. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

The point is...it's the heat of the direct rays of the sun which is heating the surface of the moon. Therefore the suits are at the mercy of those same rays and then whoever's inside them. So....can a person be comfortable in those suits and be emersed in boiling hot water with an atmosphere of 100 + degree steam? That's what I'd like to know.

And conversely...would those suits prevent a man from freezing in minus 200 degree temperatures?

I'd like to know what material those space suits are made out of?

Unobtainium? :dunno:

28. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I understand radiation....it's the reason why it gets colder the higher in altitude you get....but i don't think YOU understand the point I'm making...

29. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Slystaff's not much for book readin' or learnin'. All those mysterious "pages" made from trees are tools of the devil.

30. CleanYourClock

Staff , doesn't Mercury have an atmosphere ?
    Doesn't that change everything ?