Why didn't Pernell Whitaker try to attack Chavez?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by jaws1216, May 10, 2007.

1. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    I think Floyd got exposed at this weight. Oscar could have shut Floyd out with his jab. He wasn't worried about a counter right. Floyd went into a shell when Oscar jabbed. Oscar bought the hype. He thought, I am bigger, stronger, hit harder I am going to knock this punk out. Teddy Atlas and I were the few people who had the best strategy. Oscar's strength was his length and it worked. He is just a stupid Zombie and wanted to impersonate Micky Ward by walking in and taking shots. I don't think Oscar is a full level below Leonard and Hearns because of skill. He is just not an intelligent fighter.

2. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Maybe you shouldn't ....

When you are in a constant retreat and not the fighter that dictates when an exchange of punches takes place, guess what ?

You are not controlling the pace .. Period , end of fucking story !

3. Free Ike

None
    I think Oscar controlled the pace, undisputedly. Floyd won pretty clearly though. Oscar made the fight and got outlanded in damn near every exchange. Oscar de la Zombie walked in and made the fight though.

4. IMDAZED

IMDAZED Undisputed Champion

I tabbed Oscar to win a close one but he actually looked even worse than I thought. It wasn't like Floyd was moving up two divisions to fight a heavyweight who STILL outweighed him by 25lbs. He fought a guy who was shot. And while he looked great defensively, he was outworked.

What would have happened if Oscar actually had energy going into the championship rounds? I still would like to see Mr. Mayweather tangle with Antonio Margarito for that reason. And it's why he never will.

5. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    apart from a few rounds, were Oscar really pushed, DLH was slow and plodding. In a round where Floyd moves and Oscar simply follows and eats jabs, Floyd is the one making pace. Floyd's pace is the delibrate, 40 punches, minimal danger, etc.

Hatton controls pace with his aggression, Ouma controls pace with his aggression. Mayweather, Hopkins, Jones, control the fight by slowing it down, and in Mayweather/Jones case with feints and movement.

6. CleanYourClock

Eats jabs , You mean blocked jabs with his gloves - well those that even came close enough to do that ...

Just admit , most of all the exchanges were initiated by DLH ....

7. jaws1216

Home Page:
    he'd beat Margarito 12-0. Speed kills, and whatever "shotness" Oscar has, he still has faster hands than 90% of guys. Nobody likes getting hit in the face, look at the Baldomir fight and contrast it with Baldomir/Judah. One guy can control the action (Floyd) and the other can't (Judah) And its not like Baldomir got worse overnight, it was the footspeed, the ring intelligence, etc.

8. jaws1216

Home Page:
    you are clearly biased beyond reason.

9. Free Ike

None
    Had Oscar stood there there would have been no fight. Oscar lost, but I don't understand your point. It is nonsense actually. Oscar made the fight. Controlling the pace doesn't mean anything really. Oscar landed nothing and looked like a retarded Zombie. Floyd landed something. Something wins over nothing. The pace that was Oscar.

10. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Good luck making a counter argument.

11. CleanYourClock

Bro , go watch round 5 that Sly posted ...

You know Sly is a fellow Floyd fan. He posted that round because it was one of Floyds best rounds ..
    Floyd did good that round and landed a few good punches....
    I won't take that away from him ...

Now , go watch it a take a good long look at HOW MANY air punches he missed and glove punches he threw ...

Even in one of HIS BEST rounds , he missed 95% of all of his punches ..
    In one part of the round he throws 5 air jabs in a row ...

12. jaws1216

Home Page:
    Just cause a guy is moving forward doesn't mean he's controlling pace. Mayweather Corrales was fought at Mayweather's pace, even though he was retreating alot of the fight. Floyd made Oscar look like a retarded Zombie. He feinted, circled, threw jabs and repeated. Had Oscar controlled pace, more of the fight would've taken place in those flurries, with Floyd trapped against the ropes. It was alot like Tarver Jones 1 IMO. The five rounds that Tarver won, he did so by forcing the pace, trapping Roy on the ropes. When he was content to sit in the middle of the ring, he got beat handily. When Oscar threw his jab and pushed forward, he did have success. But those instances were few and far between

13. mikE

Floyd is way more offensive-minded. Look at their records, in particular the (##) part of ##-# (##). It's also a large part of why he gets hit a little more than Whitaker tended to. Just because Floyd went a safer route against the biggest, hardest-hitting opponent he's had to date, doesn't change the first 35 fights of their respective careers.

14. Free Ike

None
    CYC, you really don't think Oscar won. Jaws, Choke, Matchup and myself were watching that fight. Everyone except Jaws was hoping Oscar would stop Floyd. Honestly, I can't see anything more than 8-4 for Floyd. We scored the rounds basically.
    1. Who we would give the round to.
    2. Who the judges probably liked.
    3. What round could possibly go to either guy.

I think 8-4 is the best we could do, but we are just 4 knowledgabel guys and not corrupt.

15. CleanYourClock

There is no point ...

For the most part , younger guys think Floyd was more offensive then Pea .. Maybe when he is fighting bums ... Should we really count that though ?
    However when is comes to fighting the higher level opposition , Pea is definetly more offensive ...

16. CleanYourClock

Like he said , if Oscar just stood there , no punches would have ever gotten thrown ... End of story ..

17. IMDAZED

Antonio Margarito is no Baldomir. Which is why Baldomir flat out REFUSED to fight him.

And Zab Judah would get f*cked in the a** by Margarito. Don't know what your basis is for that 12 rounds to 0 prediction but it shouldn't be based on Floyd's last few opponents because none of them are like Margarito.

18. jaws1216

Home Page:
    "If I were a betting man, I'd lay some bread on Baldomir. Why not? A 5-1 favorite who out-sped and out-fought Arturo Gatti, the first true welterweight Mayweather's faced. Add on Uncle Roger's suspension (and the fact that his prison sentence kept him away from camp)...Tata's got a good shot. But Floyd is Floyd and he appears extremely focused for this one. I expect it to be a lil' closer than expected, perhaps with Mayweather having to pull out the last couple rounds to earn himself a unanimous decision"

I wonder who said that?...lets contrast that with my thoughts on Baldomir Mayweather...

"“This fight, will once again serve as a coming out party for Floyd Mayweather. It appears he's taking on a challenge this time, appears that he may run into something that he can't handle. The truth is he's a class above everyone else, and as much as I like Baldomir's style and approach to matchmaking, he doesn't have a realistic chance. This will be an easy decision win for Mayweather, who will use his feet to dominate."

Now Baldomir can't hold a candle to Margarito....cmon:nono:

19. IMDAZED

i don't understand what that has to do with Margarito??:dunno:

20. IMDAZED

Aaron Jones: Real quality stuff man, what would you think if Floyd took on Spinks rather than Margarito??

Remember that? After my article on Margarito??

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  21. mikE

Even non-bums, Floyd beats the hell out of usually. He has ko'd title challengers, especially when he didn't hurt his hands.

Whitaker get a ko in a title fight? Lifelong lumberyard employees can count the number of times on one hand.

I'd say it is younger guys who don't think Floyd is more offensive than Pea...the guys who haven't seen Pea fight or haven't sat through his 12 rounds guaranteed performances many, many times.

22. IMDAZED

Agreed. Sure Pea stood in the pocket and fought, but he wasn't knocking anyone out. Mayweather has.

23. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Baldomir is old, small, one dimensional, featherfisted, inaccurate, staminaless, slow of hand and foot and skilless. That oughta have Margarito looking like a deer in headlights. :eeeek:

24. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

CYC obviously watched the first five or six rounds, saw Oscar was doing OK... and over the second half was too busy talking about how well Oscar was doing while Floyd was winning clearly.

25. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Yep, and with all that baggage, he was good enough to dispose of Clottey much easier then the Fraud did.

26. jaws1216

Home Page:
    you are a good writer. I don't have to agree with you to appreciate your writing. My point is that you have historically underrated Floyd, and seem to continue in it despite him coming to 154 and beating DLH.

27. IMDAZED

Much easier eh? By losing every round and having a harder head?

28. Father of Muzse

Father of Muzse Undisputed Champion

Is this a joke? Whitaker hurt Chavez.

Plus, Chavez took more steps backwards than Whitaker did. There were times Pea walked Chavez to the ropes.

Double L once counted the number of clinches in the fight...I asked him to count the number of steps backwards Chavez took vs those of Whitaker...

I've yet to see his findings. :cool:

29. IMDAZED

Historically? How do you figure? Because I picked him to beat Baldomir and picked Oscar to win by SPLIT DECISION?? How many predictions of mine have you seen?? Can you go any further than Baldomir?? Try this one for size:

http://15rounds.com/Columns/kbouhairie/040706.php

MY PREDICTION

Judah may be the naturally bigger, more powerful and, dare I say, faster fighter of the two. That, in itself, makes Saturday’s showdown a dangerous bout for Mayweather. Should Floyd have difficulty landing his jab against the southpaw Judah, he’ll be in for a long night, especially if he’s forced to leap in and out to land his punches. While that technique worked well against lefties like Corley and Sharmba Mitchell, Judah has the speed to catch him coming in and the power to take him out. That scenario could only occur when Mayweather is on the offensive. In order for that to happen, Judah must surprise Mayweather in the same manner Marco Antonio Barrera did Prince Naseem Hamed; box from the outside and force the counter-puncher to take the lead. If not, he’ll walk into Mayweather’s pinpoint shots and either lose the courage to come forward, or lose his focus.

Mayweather will have trouble early on—all fighters do against southpaws—but his superior technique will take over in the middle rounds and he’ll break Zab down, part by part. Mayweather TKO11.

30. Free Ike

None
    I want the numbers for clinches for a Ruiz fight and Whitaker. The next time one of you clowns says Pea isn't dull, I can pull them.