Wilfred Benitez vs. Donald Curry @ 147

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Erratic, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    You talkin' smart to me, Mr Joe? :nono:

2. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

Well, what happened is that Alabama Man went on and on about how Benitez was the youngest Welterweight champion of all time. Both Craig and I pointed out that he wasn't, but he still kept arguing that Benitez was the youngest Welterweight champion of all time. Finally, after two or three pages, Alabama Man figured out that he was wrong, and went back to edit all of his posts. It was pretty funny.

3. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Actually what happened was Rufio thought that 5,000,000 slavs didn't die during the Holocaust, and he exposed himself as being uneducated. It was pretty funny. Lots of people ridiculed him. B)

Link for reference:
    http://fightbeat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15294&page=2

4. Rubio MHS

If they don't die in the gas chamber, it doesn't count.

5. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Judges have decided: Alabama Man owned..

Sorry dude I dig you but "weight range"??? You can't do that during a period when there were seperate Champions at 140 and 147 pounds..

By the way, back to the point of the thread, I like Curry in a tentative counter punching affair where Curry's edge in power gets him a narrow but unanimous decision..

Donald Curry was a far more accomplished Welterweight than Benitez.

6. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Thanks Trplsec, we're cool.

But Benitez still destroyes Curry, Lloyd did it and Benitez would spank both of them. :dancingguy:

7. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

So Benitez would bring an aggressive reckless approach against Curry?

8. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    You know, I saw the Lloyd - Curry fight a while ago, but from what I remember, Lloyd wasn't doing anything very fancy at all.

Basically he was sticking a good 1-2 into Curry's face anytime he was set to punch then would grab or move away.

I think it was the 6th round where Lloyd caught Curry with a masterful counter and Curry was basically on queer street for the rest of the round. The cut might have been caused by a head butt, but I have no doubt if the ref let them continue fighting Curry would've been stopped.

I think Benitez was a much more complete fighter than Lloyd was, and certainly capable of landing massive counters on Curry, especially the one who fought that night.

9. Rubio MHS

Translation: The only fight of Curry's I could find on Youtube was the one where he lost the title.

10. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Are you just a Donald Curry nuthugger?

What did that guy ever do besides reign during a weak Welterweight division?

:nixweiss:

11. Rubio MHS

It's not about what he did; it was about the way he did it. How many people get ranked #1 in the world, pound-for-pound? Not too many, and Curry did. I don't rank Benitez above Curry - Curry doesn't make my top 30 at welterweight, and Benitez does - but Curry had the perfect style to beat Benitez.

12. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    I'm not saying Curry is crap, but he never beat a superstar elite in his career. When he did get those fights he got massacred (Mike McCallum, Nunn, Norris). I mean the guy got soundly outboxed by Rene Jacquot.

Benitez on the otherhand beat prime Cervantes, somewhat prime Duran, had a very close fight with a prime Thomas Hearns (I thought it was a draw instead of a Majority Decision) and went even steven with prime Surgar Ray Leonard before the somewhat early stoppage.

I just don't see how beating Starling and McCrory make Curry better than Benitez. :nixweiss:

13. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Weak? He unified the title and had to beat Marlon Starling in the process. Now the below average boxing fan would say "Marlon who?" But the educated boxing fan would understand that Benitez couldn't throw a defensive trick at Curry that Marlon Starling didn't already use during the 24 rounds he fought with Curry.

Starling was as tough to hit as anyone that has ever fought at 147 pounds. Curry beat him twice. On top of that, Curry destroyed a very established Welterweight Champion named Milton McCrory who was one of the Kronk Gym's top monsters at the time.

Seriously Alabama, you seem like a smart guy but diminishing Curry based on him running into a buzz saw like Honeyghan is ridiculous.

Regardless, Benetiz had a single notable win at 147. He was nowhere near the fighter Curry was at Welterweight.

14. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Prime Cervantes, Duran, Hearns, and Ray Leonard are 10 times over Starling and McCrory. Sorry bud.

I'm a big Tito fan and if Tito ever got outboxed by a Rene Jacquot, I'd say he was overrated too. But Tito destroyed the Rene Jacquots he fought and Curry didn't.

15. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

:jester: :jester: OK.... Now I get it.. You are just reading the results of these fights. You never actually saw them.

No one that watched Benitez-Hearns or Benitez-Leonard would make the comments you just made..

16. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Saw almost all of Benitez's fights, and most of Curry's.

I just think there is a lot of overrating of Curry in this thread.

Are you sure you've seen Curry fight besides on highlight reels from youtube? :nixweiss:

17. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

If you actually watched Hearns-Benitez and called it a draw then you have no business talking boxing...

Likewise, if you think Leonard-Benitez was nap and tuck, then you have no business talking boxing..

End of thread for me.. You honestly are just reading results and haven't seen any of these fights.. I'll let you debate with Rubio... Unreal...

18. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Nice debating with you!

I'm off to lunch break myself, going to hit up the treadmill for an hour. :dancingguy:

19. Rubio MHS

I smell the stink of Boxrec, with an aftertaste of Youtube. Go ahead. Tell everyone which rounds you gave to Benitez.

20. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Nope. You weren't the one claiming Benitez was the youngest Welter champ ever, were you??

21. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    What I don't understand is how Curry's fights at 154 and especially 160, when he was clearly on the downside of his career, matter in a discussion of these two fighters at 147. After beating a past-prime and hot and cold Duran (Duran's peformances in his fights immediately before and after the Benitez didn't exactly inspire anyone), Benitez was in over his head against Hearns (no one who actually saw that fight could think it was close and Hearns was even fighting with a broken hand), and then never resembled an elite fighter again.

Benitez didn't exactly look like a worldbeater against Hamsho, Moore & Matthew Hilton. If you're gonna criticize Curry for losing against fighters from a higher weight class, then the same goes for Benitez. And since you mentioned elite fighters...none of these fighters were close to reaching elite status. If Benitez had gotten past Hamsho, he was expected to fight Hagler. Benitez should have sent Hamsho a thank you card for sparing him the beating he would have taken against Hagler. Hamsho roughed Benitez up, but he was never a sharp or hard puncher. I know Benitez was stopped due to a broken ankle against Moore, but at injury occcured as the result of a knockdown.

All that aside...the topic is Curry vs. Benitez at 147. Curry did more at 147 than Benitez. And why are you ignoring Benitez's close calls against Harold Weston & Bruce Curry (who knocked Benitez down three times). Either one of those decisions could have easily gone the other way. Hell...Benitez was lucky to not have a loss to the less-talented Curry brother on his record at 147.

And Curry's opposition at 147 was not weak. There were some good fighters in there like McCrory, Colin Jones, Roger Stafford, Nino LaRocca and one near great in Starling. What was impressive about Curry during his prime was that he didn't just beat these fighters, but he handled them with ease. The only one to really give him a fight was Starling and even then at the end of the fight, there was no doubt who the winner was.

As for the Honeyghan fight...it was pretty obvious that Curry was not at his physical best that night. Nothing against Honeyghan, but he caught Curry on the right night. Honeyghan-Curry when Curry was at his best would most likely have resembled Starling-Honeyghan.

22. Rubio MHS

Yup. That was Alabama_Idiot.

23. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Those guys are considered great fighters now? :nixweiss:

This place smells like boxrec mixed with wet shit. B)

24. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Read the post again and try to learn from it even if you disagree.

Broadwayjoe has been around for a long time. He's the furthest thing from a boxrec warrior.

25. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    There's nothing to learn. B)

I read it and I still don't see how that list of names compares to Duran, Cervantes, Leonard, and Hearns. :nixweiss:

Those guys weren't even considered "great" fighters in their own period. He called Marlon Starling a "near great", wtf does that mean? Who did Starling fight at that time that made him "a near great"? David Bolden? :nixweiss:

So apparently Marlon Starling was a near great and the Duran that Benitez fought was old and cold (even though he whipped the shit out of Moore for a title and gave Hagler a competitive fight shortly after).

As I said before, this smells like wet shit, rancid urine, and boxrec all rolled up into one. B)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  26. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    First of all, you're putting words in my mouth...which is a sure sign that I'm talking to someone who knows he's wrong. When EXACTLY did I say that McCrory, Colin Jones, Roger Stafford, Nino LaRocca were GREAT fighters? WHEN??? Oh that's right. I DIDN'T. They were GOOD fighters...like I said.

So save your BoxRec comments. I've been a fan of boxing for a long time and I actually watched the fighters and that we are discussing when they actually happened. You sound like Kid Dynamite with a different forum handle. So desperate to be "right" that you will say anything. And as for Duran, Cervantes, Hearns & Leonard...Benitez only fought ONE of them at Welterweight (Leonard) and he lost. So none of those other fights matter in this discussion because we are discussing Curry and Benitez at WELTERWEIGHT.

And frankly...Curry accomplished more and was the better fighter at 147. And I'm pretty sure you know this because you keep reaching outside of both fighters' fights at 147. You can't stick to the topic because you can't "win" if you did so.

As for Starling...anyone who knows anything about his career knows that he definately straddles the Very Good/Great category of fighter. If you have never seen him fight (or will just judge him based on his MIDDLEWEIGHT title fight against Nunn) then you wouldn't know this.

So c'mon...leave the gross exaggerations, putting words in my mouth and references to BoxRec elsewhere and show me what you actually know about these fighters at WELTERWEIGHT. Can you do that?

And how about disputing the rest of my post instead of picking out one line and changing what I said. Can you intelligently dispute what I had to say. If you are as knowledgeable as you claim then you should be able to put in a better effort than your last attempt.

If you don't know much about Curry and are just picking Benitez 'cause he's a bigger name...that's cool...but at least admit it.

Oh, yeah...and in case you forgot my original question....

When EXACTLY did I say that McCrory, Colin Jones, Roger Stafford, Nino LaRocca were GREAT fighters?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  27. Baron

Baron "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Bjoe, still one of the best posters around. :2: (Nothing against you 'bama but joe knows his stuff)

28. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    You said Duran was past his prime and cold, but he won a title after Benitez beat him and gave Hagler a very competitive fight (more so than Hearns). That's why I brought it up.

Then you went on to say that Donald Curry beat a "near great" Marlon Starling. Who did Marlon beat before he fought Curry?

Stop ducking the questions, it's making you look like a boxrec ranger. :nono:

29. Registered

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    B)

30. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    Thanks, Whiskey. The breaks that I occasionally take from the forum are caused by the headaches that I get reading posts like some of the ones in this topic. I'm all for young and new fans of the sport, but if they don't do their homework before posting we end up with discussion like this.